Parapsychology Journalism: The People, The Theory, The Science, The Skeptics
I’ll be quite honest, I don’t know how much to make of this, but it is weird and interesting and I have a funny feeling that there is something to it. As it’s described, orgone energy appears to be a free form version of consciousness that is pure energy. It supposedly has a bluish tint to it when it reacts to other energies and apparently, it can be contained inside of a box . . . to a degree. You can apparently build an orgone accumulator with cotton and steel wool. (Perhaps I’ll try it sometime. Building stuff is easy for me.)
Here is a description of its properties:
Properties of Orgone -Energy
Orgone energy, the creative force in nature, is not a form of electromagnetism nor of matter but is fundamental to both. It is the specific life energy, but life is only one particular manifestation of it. Our knowledge about it is partial and fragmentary in major respects, and is no doubt in some measure erroneous. Nevertheless, a clear and consistent picture of what orgone energy is and how it functions arises from Reich’s work. The following ten properties of orgone energy were deduced by Reich.
1. It is mass free. Orgone energy itself has no inertia or weight; i. e., it is mass free. This is one of the reasons it is difficult to measure using conventional techniques. Mass is, however, intimately dependent on the characteristics of the mass-free orgone energy field with which all matter is surrounded. Measurements of weight or inertia reflect the characteristics of this field as well as of the object contained in it.
2. It is present everywhere. Orgone energy fills all space. It is present in differing degrees or concentrations (or “charges”) but is nowhere absent. It is present in vacua, whether within the atmosphere or in outer space. It is in this respect like the ether of pre-20th century physics.
3. It is the medium for electromagnetic and gravitational phenomena. Again, like the ether., orgone energy is the substratum of the most fundamental natural phenomena. It is the medium in which light moves and electromagnetic and gravitational fields exert force. One of the major tasks of orgonomy is to integrate our knowledge of orgone energy with the facts about those phenomena known to orthodox physics.
4. It is in constant motion. The continual motion of orgone energy can be observed under appropriate conditions. There are at least two characteristic types of motion, a pulsation or alternating expansion and contraction, and a flow, normally along a curving path.
5. It “contradicts” the law of entropy. Orgone energy is attracted to concentrations of orgone energy. Unlike heat or electricity, which always show a direction from higher to lower potential, orgone energy flows from lower orgonotic potential to higher. In a thermal system in which outside energy is neither added nor subtracted, heat is lost by hot objects or materials and absorbed by cool until everything within the system is the same temperature. “Entropy increases” as the heat is distributed more and more uniformly. Heat, after all, leaves the sun and goes out into space; it does not collect from space and flow into the sun. In the same way, a heater radiates heat into the room;
There is a body of evidence to support this, which is listed here, here, here and here. (All from the same website. It appears to be monitored and updated, although several parts were under construction, giving me the perception that this is a part time hobby for someone.)
There does not seem to be any coherent skepticism on this subject and for the most part, it is simply ignored. It looks like mainstream science has slapped its all purpose “That CAN’T be true” label on it and filed it away. I am not surprised by this nor even mildly indignant. I’ve seen this too often now to care. Mainstream science is filled with pleasant fictions and that’s just how it is.
Regardless, the study of orgone energy has not gone away. As recently as April 30th, 2011, there was a one day seminar on the subject in New York City.
Let’s assume that Orgone energy is real and apply it to the theory of fundamental-to-reality consciousness. Right off the bat, it does the one thing that the big bang theory can’t explain. When all of matter is exploding outward literally creating space as it goes, all matter will get farther and farther apart from each other. It never slows down, and in fact, the expansion of the universe is speeding up, which would push all the particles farther and farther apart from each other. There is no way for any of this evenly distributed initial matter to come together and form anything. (We know that it is evenly distributed because the galaxies aren’t all bunched up in one area. They’re everywhere we look with similar distribution.)
There just has to be something there to counteract the second law of thermodynamics or else nothing happens. The universe would remain in entropy. The existence of a creative force that brings together simple elements to create more complex ones is a very compelling idea.
Orgone energy could provide a material explanation for how matter pulls together and forms ever more complex units. It could in fact, be the dark energy and be an alternate explanation for dark matter that is the source of much speculation in cosmology.
It would explain the creation of life as an ordinary part of the processes of physics, not something extraordinary. When I’ve done psychic healing, I’ve often felt an energy and at times it has been tangible. Orgone energy would explain this as well I guess.
This explains something that many people have sensed, but science dismisses: the existence of energy beings with no physical presence who interact with us. (Ghosts, angels, et al.) It also provides a mechanism for higher intelligences that can be a product of the sum of human consciousness.
In short, this just seems like part of the puzzle. Orgone energy could easily be the energetic part of consciousness, helping to demonstrate an energy system in the universe that is far more complex and perhaps intelligent than it has appeared.